Strzegomski Bunker | Strzegomski Sq.

Strzegomski Bunker | Strzegomski Sq.
Plac Strzegomski, Wrocław
2.0 km from city centre

Currently, it is used as a temporary headquarters of the Wrocław Contemporary Museum.

The bunker located near the Strzegomski Square in Wrocław, was built in 1942 as one of several bomb shelters which were created that time for the civilian population. It was designed by controversial Wrocław designer - Richard Konwiarz, co-author of a Wrocław redevelopment project (together with Max Berg and Ludwig Moshamer) between 1919 -1920.

This cylindrical free-standing object has reinforced concrete walls 1.1 m thick and 1.5 m ceilings. The shelter is 25 m high. Initially, there were two entrances in the break located on the western side and preceded by a five-axis portico (now built-in). The panel was adorned with an eagle silhouette with swastika. During the siege of Festung Breslau the shelter served as a fortress hospital No. II (Festunglazaret II), later as the foothold.

The construction of ground shelters in Wrocław began betwen 1940-1942, a time when the German army, due to the ongoing World War II, controlled almost the entire territory of Europe. German cities were threatened only with Allied air force bombings. The actual role of these shelters was limited, because the relatively small number people could go into them. To a large extent, however, they improved the morale of the population. In 1945, during the time of invasion of the Red Army, they were strong centers of resistance, effectively protecting crews against air attacks and artillery bombardment. The shelter remains in good condition until now, suffering no major damage neither during the battle of Festung Breslau, nor during more than sixty years of service after the war, when it was used as a warehouse (in the 90s, it housed different types of stores and wholesales.


See also